Wednesday, March 19, 2008

"I see the whole world turn into a war zone"


Even though it switches off pretty frequently (you can't just have ONE favorite song by an incredible artist), I'd have to say right now my favorite song by Wyclef is "Slow Down". Its one of those things where you wake up in the morning with it stuck in your head and it stays ALL DAY. Sometimes its obnoxious, but its a good song, so generally I don't mind. 

I was originally drawn to the song by its catchy tune, but then as I listened to the lyrics, I realized I agreed and could relate with many of his points. In this song, Wyclef reflects on recent events, such as nuclear testing, the war in Iraq, 9/11, Hurricane Katrina, and poverty in America, and their extreme impact. In the chorus, he sings "I see the whole world turn into a war zone", and given the fact that there is SO much tension between the U.S. and the Middle East, Wyclef's lyrics don't seem too far-fetched. Even though Wyclef simply addresses various problems in this song and doesn't provide any advice on how to deal with them, he seems to be trying to advocate for his listeners to take action and do whatever they can to improve the situation. As the song is titled "Slow Down", I can definitely relate to the feeling that the world is moving too fast, and the anxiety that our country will be forced into an even bigger and more nonsensical war than the one we got ourselves into a few short years ago. Hopefully as Americans we can try to graduate from the 2nd grade and realize that with problem-solving, violence usually only creates more animosity. I'm not overly confident. For the sole purpose of not going on a rant, we'll relate it back to Wyclef. Wyclef backs this idea up with the first line of the chorus that reads "Where'd the hope go, where'd the hope go?", which is a genuinely a great question. All in all, "Slow Down" is a song worth listening to.

No comments: